Saturday, April 14, 2012

Photos and Reflections from the Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic Endeavor Cruise, March 30 - April 7, 2012


Commemorating 30 years of life and 5 years of marriage for Geovanny and me
Before taking my first ever cruise of the islands I had many doubts. Before I had criticized this luxury tourism of the islands because most local people and Ecuadorians are prohibited from participating due to high prices (average is $5,000 a person for 7 days which includes visits, food, lodging, etc. but doesn’t include airfare and entry into the national park). If only a few can participate and I try to be an examle of social justice, was I being hypocritical by becoming one of the few for a week? While the restricted access factor remains true and still bothers me to some degree, Lindblad and NatGeo brightened my perspective of the cruise option as ecological, educational and socially-responsible.
The lodging, programming, food and service were all of premium quality, but the crew emphasized our responsibility to minimize our ecological footprint and respect national park rules and local culture. The boat desalinizes its own water and we were given water bottles to overcome the need to buy water in plastic bottles. Fresh ingredients are carefully selected, washed and shipped in secure packaging in the airplane carrying passengers to the islands to diminish potential introduction of exotic species and combine two previous trips into one. Guests pre-choose their meals at dinner time to help the chef and cooks better calculate food, reducing waste. We reused our towels for several days and had the option to not have our bed linens changed halfway through the week (I saw about 1/3 of guests opt for this option, ~30/93). We received a presentation on the human history of the islands by our expedition leader, heard a representative from the Charles Darwin Foundation talk, and enjoyed local music and dance performed by a group of musicians (Ecoarte) from Santa Cruz Island. Furthermore, I estimate (because for privacy not fully disclosed) that at least 10 guests had paid either a reduced fare or won their trip through a raffle. For me, these examples represent balanced steps towards ecological, educational and social responsibility in tourism in Galapagos.
In short, we visited 18 amazing, pristine protected sites, saw all the wildlife we set out to see (collectively, not individually, but regardless, this is not always possible!), and learned about local Galapagos residents and efforts to safeguard the islands. We even had the pleasure of sharing our expedition with the Editor-in-Chief of the National Geographic magazine and his family!
Although I still hope access can be expanded to allow local residents the possibility to better appreciate the beautiful islands in which they reside, I saw many examples of how Lindblad and National Geographic are making this happen. Hands down, I recommend if you save up to visit Galapagos, please consider taking this cruise. You will have no regrets. http://www.expeditions.com/Ship_Detail92.asp?Ship=5
On the other hand, if the price-range out of your budget, come visit us at our Hacienda Tranquila: www.haciendatranquila.com ! The only favor I ask anyone visiting these beautiful islands is to think about how you can help conserve your local beautiful and unique places. There are countless ones around the world- we just need to open our eyes and appreciate them.
Please see my photos below- I will write more up about each day with more photos in the weeks to come. Meanwhile, here is a preview. I would love to receive your thoughts and comments. J  
Saturday, March 31, 2012: San Cristobal Island, Cerro Brujo
I love this part of San Cristobal because of the view of Leon Dormido in the background and the circuline sand. Unfortunately, I did not walk around much as I needed Saturday to get my sea legs under me!
Sunday, April 1, 2012: My 30th Birthday on Espanola Island
Me posing by a Nazca booby and the mini geyser formed from an underwater cave on the rocky coast. We also blue-footed boobies, marine iguanas and waved albatross. I even got a special birthday cake at dinner. What a day!

Monday, April 2, 2012: Floreana Island

Yet another magical island, our visit to Floreana was mesmerizing. We saw female sea turtle tracks from hours earlier when they came to lay their eggs, Floreana mockingbird, finches, lava lizards and even flamingos.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012: Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz

No visit is complete with a giant tortoise! This lady (or gent- not sure!) just emerged from a nice mud bath to remove parasites and relieve the heat.

The human-animal interactions has impacted natural behavior, or has it? All animals in Galapagos live in harmony- if a sea lion starts to live in harmony with the fisherman, isn't this another example of harmony in the animal kingdom?
These lovely ladies performed for us as part of the local group Ecoarte with beautifully designed and hand-painted Galapagos skirts. I am sending them this photo and hope to stay in touch. We need more positive programming like this for youth in our islands!
Wednesday, April 4: Santa Cruz, Eden and Daphne


Yet another day of magical, volcanic places! Here is a marine iguana taking a sun bath. (Can you find him? Like his fellow galapaguenans, he camouflages well!)

We also got to play "hide and seek" with the land iguanas, spotting 10! This one looked like he wanted to give a high five of congratulations! Can you make out some of the metamorphological differences between the marine and land iguanas?

Here is a Geo iguana enjoying the fabulous Ecuadorian buffet at lunch.
Thursday, April 5: Famous Bartolome and Sombrero Chino Snorkeling

Yet again a must, a visit to Pennacle Rock or Bartolome- 6:30 am is the best visiting time!


Geo's brother and guide Fernando showed them an underwater cave- likely Geo's highlight of the trip.


 We were also happy to see some little black and white friends there- Galapagos penguins!
Friday, April 6, 2012: Genovesa, bird paradise

We got to see tens of red-footed boobies in the red mangroves. This one looked right at me as if to say, "This is my home. Can I help you?"

The baby boobies were so curious to see us- this one is a Nazca booby (if I recall correctly).

This juvenile frigate bird seemed to be wondering why the male was puffed up looking up at the ladies in the air. I imagine him saying, "Dad, what are you doing?"







2 comments:

  1. I saw a 3 hours documentary in NatGeo about the Galapagos and I though about you. Great blog and pictures. Keep the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patty! I am finally getting connected again with the outside world- I have slow internet at home! :) I hope you are well. Let me know when you guys come visit!

    ReplyDelete